If you want to provide a short-term rental in the City of Vancouver, you'll be required to comply with new rules on April 18, 2018.

Last November, 2017, Vancouver council approved new regulations for short-term rentals of less than 30 days, imposing multiple requirements on owners and tenants marketing short-term rentals on sites such as Airbnb, VRBO, and HomeAway.

On April 18, 2018, city council will formally enact these new short-term regulations.

Once passed, owners or renters will be required to apply for a new short-term rental business licence online. The license fee is $49, along with a one-time $54 administrative fee.

  • Short-term rentals are allowed in principal residences only, where the owner or tenant typically lives and receives mail. Short-term rentals in commercial or secondary/investment properties are not allowed.

  • Both owners and tenants can short-term rent their principal residence. Permission will be needed from both the strata and landlord, if applicable. Strata bylaws cannot prohibit short-term rentals.

  • Bed and breakfast operators will continue to be licensed under their existing licensing requirements. Short-term rentals aren’t permitted in a principal residence already offering bed and breakfast accommodation.

  • Anyone operating a short-term rental will need to comply with being a ‘good neighbour’ and meet certain requirements at the time of licence application. This requirement checklist outlines what is necessary to offer a short-term rental space, such as noise, parking and fire safety regulations so that potential operators can be prepared should any changes be necessary.

  • Home owners with a licensed short-term rental will need to post a fire safety plan by all entrances and exits and have smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, and carbon monoxide detectors.

AllowedNot Allowed

It's your principal residence, where you live most the year and the residential address you use for bills, identification, taxes and insurance.

It's not your principal residence - you don't live there most of the year.

It's a legal dwelling unit - a home with an address that complies with all applicable regulations, including building code and fire safety.

It's an illegal dwelling unit - it doesn't comply with applicable regulations, including building code and fire safety.
If you're in a strata, bylaws support short-term rentals in your building.

If you live in a strata, your strata bylaws don't support short-term rentals in your building.

If you're renting, your landlord allows you to sublet our home as a short-term rental.

If you're a renter, your landlord doesn't allow you to sublet your home as a short-term rental.
You have a short-term rental business licence.  

Secondary suites, laneway homes, and other secondary residences

Short-term rentals will be permitted in a principal residence which include a secondary suite, laneway house, or lock-off unit − provided it’s a principal residence.

Short-term rentals won’t be permitted in non-principal residences, including secondary suites and laneway homes. However, if the rental vacancy rate climbs to four per cent, the city will review this ban.

Secondary homes rented short-term by investors will remain illegal.

Sign up for email alerts

Stay up-to-date on information about short term rentals by signing up for email alerts. The sign-up box is found at the bottom of vancouver.ca/short-term-rentals