At a glance (1 minute read)

  • Provincial Speculation and Vacancy Tax declarations are due by March 31 for all home owners with property in taxable regions.
  • Once you’ve received your declaration letter, you can declare online.

The BC government is mailing Speculation and Vacancy Tax (SVT) declaration letters to owners of property in taxable regions throughout the province.

The SVT is an annual tax that applies based on:

  • how property owners use their residential property;
  • the property owner’s residency status; and
  • where property owners earn and report their income.

All registered owners of residential property in a designated taxable region must complete a declaration each year to declare their residency status and how their property has been used.

Declarations are due on March 31 of each year.

All property owners must declare

If a property has more than one owner, a separate declaration must be made for each owner even if the other owner is your spouse or relative. 

The SVT is different from Vancouver’s Empty Homes Tax and the Federal Underused Housing Tax.

Learn about:

If you have questions, visit to find out when you can expect your letter, what to do if you’ll be away, and for help declaring.