Rent due, evictions allowed, rent repayment plan
Rent repayment plan
Landlords must give tenants until July 2021 to repay any outstanding rent, as long as monthly instalments are paid, unless the landlord and renter agree to a longer period.
The terms of the repayment plan must include:
- amount of outstanding rent;
- start date of the repayment plan;
- amount of each instalment; and
- dates for each instalment.
For example, a renter owing $2,000 in unpaid rent will receive a repayment framework that sets out:
- the total amount of rent still owed ($2,000);
- the amount the renter is expected to pay each month, with the total owing split into instalments ($200 each month from October 2020 to July 2021); and
- the date of the first payment is due (October 1, 2020).
Repayment instalments must begin at least 30 days after the date the plan is given by the landlord to the renter.
Each monthly instalment must be paid on the same date the rent is due. For example, if a repayment plan is delivered to the renter on August 29, and rent is due on the first of each month, the first instalment is due October 1, 2020.
There is flexibility for landlords to work with renters to adjust the payment amounts.
- Read more about the repayment plan process.
- Download the repayment plan template.