- About Us
- Our Mission
- History of the Real Estate Board of Greater Vancouver
- Governance of the REBGV
- Quality Matters
- Government Relations
- Professional Excellence Award
- Employment Opportunities
- Quality of Life
- News + Statistics
- How REALTORS® Help
- Consumer Information
- Your Community
- REALTORS Care®
The Board of Directors commits itself to ethical, businesslike, and lawful conduct, including proper use of authority and appropriate decorum when acting as Directors.
1. Directors must have loyalty to the ownership, unconflicted by loyalties to staff, other organizations, and any personal interest.
2. Directors must avoid conflict of interest with respect to their fiduciary responsibility.
a. There will be no self-dealing or business by a member with the organization. Directors will disclose their involvement with other organizations, with vendors, or any associations which might be or might reasonably be seen as being a conflict.
b. When the Board of Directors is to decide upon an issue, about which a Director has an unavoidable conflict of interest, that Director shall absent herself or himself without comment from not only the vote, but also from the deliberation.
c. Directors will not use their position to obtain employment in the organization for themselves, family members, or close associates. Should a Director apply for employment, he or she must first resign from the Board of Directors.
d. All Directors will read and abide by the ‘Conflict of Interest’ Policy.
3. Directors may not attempt to exercise individual authority over the organization.
a. Directors’ interaction with the Executive Officer or with staff must recognize the lack of authority vested in individuals except when explicitly authorized by the Board of Directors.
b. Directors’ interaction with public, press or other entities must recognize the same limitation and the inability of any Director to speak for the Board of Directors except to repeat explicitly stated Board of Directors’ decisions.
c. Except for participation in Board of Directors’ deliberation about whether reasonable interpretation of Board of Director policy has been achieved by the EO, Directors will not express individual judgements of performance of staff of the REBGV.
4. Meetings and Attendance: Regular meetings are defined as those included in the Annual Agenda that is circulated at the start of the Director year. The date of a regular meeting may be changed within a minimum 30 days notice to Directors. A Regular Meeting may be added to the Annual Agenda with a minimum of 30 days notice. Directors are expected to attend the full, scheduled meeting.
5. Directors will be properly prepared for Board of Directors’ meetings so that any decision of the Board of Directors may be made in an efficient, knowledgeable and expeditious fashion.
6. Directors will respect a speaking order and will listen with respect to their fellow Directors and shall ensure that all electronic devices are turned off during the meeting.
7. Directors shall be familiar with the Society Act, Constitution and By-laws, Regulations and Policies of REBGV.
8. Directors shall regularly take part in educational activities that will assist them in carrying out their responsibilities.